Friday, April 21, 2023

Monticello Utah Temple

 

The Monticello Temple in 1998, my 10th temple

Me and James with my boys Cameron and Micah

Rebecca at the Monticello Temple in 2020

James and I on a run to the temple in 2020

James and Rebecca in 2020

2020

2020

The Monticello Temple was my 10th temple.  It is very special to our family because we lived in Moab while it was being constructed and we were part of the open house and dedication.  Monticello was the first "mini temple" and our family loved taking trips to Monticello to watch the progress of the temple.  It was dedicated in 1998 and rededicated in 2002 after they expanded it due to how busy it was. 

During the construction of the temple, word went out that there had been a mistake made during construction and workers were repairing it.  Extra pieces of marble were in a pile next to the temple, and if stake members would like to have a small "piece of the temple," they may come get one piece of marble.  We went and picked up one piece of marble, and I still have it displayed on my shelf today.  It is my special piece of the temple.  

Our primary children were asked to sing at the open house, and I had the special privilege of accompanying them on the piano!  We also were blessed to attend the dedication of the temple.  After it was dedicated, James and I attended the temple at least once a month, and quite often weekly because it was only one hour from our house.  We were going through the adoption of our twin sons, and I hoped that the people I was doing temple work for would "pull strings" for me on the other side of the veil to help us with our adoption.  The temple also offered me great solace during this very stressful time.  We were so blessed to have a temple so close to our home, and the hour drive between Moab and Monticello is a beautiful drive.

If you visit the Monticello Temple, our favorite place to stay in Monticello is the Inn At the Canyons.  The rooms are nice and it has a fun pool & hot tub.  Or, if you'd like to stay an hour away in Moab, we always stay at the Aarchway Inn.  Moab is my favorite place on earth.  Arches National Park is a must-visit at least once in a lifetime.  We lived in Moab for 2 1/2 years and went hiking a few times a week, but we still didn't see everything there was to see!  There are arches all over Moab, and they are spectacular!

Close to Monticello is a portion of Canyonlands, and specifically Newspaper Rock.  This is worth a visit as well!  Blanding is a half hour away in Monticello, and closeby is Natural Bridges Monument.  The hike is spectacular, and if you know where to look, there are Indian ruins there as well.  This is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and having a temple in the area is the icing on the cake!  The last time we visited Monticello the temple was closed for cleaning.  I am excited to attend the temple again on my next hiking trip to Moab!  The temple is located at 365 N 200 W in Monticello.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taylorsville Utah Temple

Taylorsville Utah Temple The Taylorsville Utah Temple was my 58th temple The Taylorsville Utah Temple is located right off of I-215 in Utah....