Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Spokane Washington Temple

The Temple

Me and James at my 46th Temple


My parents







 My 46th temple was the Spokane Washington Temple, which is located in Spokane Valley at 13710 E 40th Avenue.  My dad grew up in Spokane.  I remember going to Spokane as a kid and visiting my grandparents.  My daughter Rebecca made it into All Northwest Choir, which was held in Spokane in 2022, and we decided to surprise her by coming to see her concert in Spokane!  And to make the surprise even more fun, we invited my parents to come along!  We planned to visit all of the places that my dad remembered as a kid, such as his old schools and old houses.  We went to the Spokane Temple on the afternoon that we arrived in Spokane.  My dad has Alzheimer's Disease so we knew he wouldn't be able to handle an endowment session, so I scheduled sealings for us.  It was so special to do sealings with my parents in my dad's hometown!  He handled sealings fine, and the only downside to our trip to the temple was the rainy weather outside.  

The Trip

When our flight arrived in Spokane, we had a little bit of time before our temple appointment, so we grabbed some lunch and then went to see the houses that my dad had lived in.  My dad's Alzheimer's prevented him from remembering where they were located, so my mom asked his older sister for the addresses.  He did recognize his homes once he saw them, which was really fun.  We also went to see his elementary school, junior high, and high school and took photos there.  We drove to his church building as well, and even wandered around on Gonzaga University.  We also went to the cemetery and found the graves of his parents and some of his siblings.  There was a beautiful view of the city from there.  Then we went to the temple.  That night we tried to eat dinner at Black Angus, where he remembered taking dates when he was in high school, but it turns out that it was at a new location and was not the original restaurant where he remembered eating.  Still, we enjoyed a steak dinner at Black Angus that night.  Then we went to my Aunt Diane's house to spend the night.

The next day we toured the area where the World's Fair was in 1974, the year I was born.  My Grandpa Call had been one of the people in charge of planning it, since he was the city planner.  We went on a gondola ride and walked around by the Spokane Falls.  We ate lunch at Anthony's, overlooking the falls, which is actually the place where my dad remembered bringing dates (but with a new name).  Then we went to the concert, which was held at the Fox Theater in Spokane.  We snuck up on Rebecca and surprised her!  She was VERY surprised, which was super fun!  We looked around the Davenport Grand Hotel, and the Historic Davenport Hotel, where the choirs had been rehearsing and staying.  That night we went to dinner with the choir at a restaurant near the Fox Theater right after the performance.  We stayed another night with my Aunt Diane, and then the next morning we flew back home.  We happened to be on the same flight as Rebecca and the other students from her choir, so that was fun!

riding the SkyRide Gondola over the Spokane Falls

inside the Fox Theater for the All Northwest Choir Concert

the building where my Grandpa Call used to work as a City Planner

lunch at Anthony's, overlooking the Spokane Falls

view from the Gondola 

my parents on the gondola ride

I'm very afraid of heights, but the enclosed gondola was alright

me and my parents on the bridge overlooking the Spokane Falls

a boy scout statue near the Spokane Falls (my dad was a big scouter, and so was my husband!)

all of us at the Spokane Falls




inside the Historic Davenport Hotel

on the banks of the Spokane River

dinner at Black Angus

the Greenwood Memorial Terrace Cemetery

My dad's high school

My dad's junior high

My dad's elementary school

one of my dad's houses growing up

My grandpa built this house for his family, as well as the house next door where they lived while building this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Taylorsville Utah Temple

Taylorsville Utah Temple The Taylorsville Utah Temple was my 58th temple The Taylorsville Utah Temple is located right off of I-215 in Utah....